Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Hang 'em High! GMAC & TopScore


I'm apparently behind the ball on this story, but I've now been sucked in; I'm really curious to see how this plays-out. For those of you who are not yet aware, there was apparently a site, TopScore, that was publishing current test questions from the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) and as many as 6,000 test takers, according to GMAC, may have used the site's service to get access to those questions. The question, of course, is what happens to those test takers now.

Like many of you, I'm sure, I worked really hard to prepare for the GMAT years ago and I'm a little disgusted by the thought that others could have cheated. A test like the GMAT is highly dependent on the distribution of test results; your percentile score may be more important than anything else. Consequently, if there was a group with an unfair advantage over the rest, then their scores would not only be higher than they would be otherwise, but those scores would directly, and negatively, impact the other (honest) test takers. With the futures of prospective MBAs so dependent on their results on the GMAT, I, for one, hope that the cheaters get what they deserve.

No comments: